Wednesday, June 15, 2011

what I've read - book reviews


  Even though we've been pretty busy here in America, I've been reading a lot.

  Because there are a lot of books here.
  
  Libraries are huge, bookshops are many, and it's usually not hard to find the book your looking for.

  And I love that. A lot.
|this is my traveling library, that keeps growing. My suitcases are heavy.|

  Here are some of the books I've been reading in my spare time that I've really loved.


 Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
   
  Miri is a mountain girl. The kind of girl that lowlanders look down upon. That's why, when the villagers of Mount Eskel hear the King's message, Miri is sure it cannot be true. Would lowlanders really allow a mountain girl to become princess?

  This is a story of home. It's a story of friendship, of courage, and of kindness. And it's a story that I will not soon forget.

  This book was amazing. It is beautifully written, and the whole thing is just so real. I really recommend this!






 Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

  This book is a masterpiece. It is loosely based on the fairy-tale Cinderella but a kind of Cinderella story like never before written.

  This story begins with a girl named Ella. She's a kind, smart girl who has an unusual problem: she has to do what she's told. Always. At first, this doesn't seem like a bad problem at all. But then - what if she's told to do something wrong? What if she is told to do something that puts her loved ones' lives in danger? This of   "gift"obedience, given to her at birth by a foolish fairy, turns out to be more dangerous and more devastating then she ever could have imagined. Isn't there some way to break the curse?

  Ella Enchanted is such a sweet book. Read it, okay? :)







Shadow of His Hand by Wendy Lawton


  Young Anita Dittman's world crumbles as Hitler begins his rise to power in Germany, but because she's a Christian and only half-Jewish, Anita feels sure she and her family are safe from 'the Final Solution'. She could not have been more wrong. - goodread's summary


 I've always been interested in WWII, and so I've read lots of books written about that time. This one might be one of my favorites. Anita's story is amazing - it's amazing how a girl not much older than me could go through all that, never giving up hope, and always trusting that God has a purpose.

 I really recommend this book, and the rest of the "Daughters of the Faith" series.



 Nine Day Queen of England by Faith Cook

  The story of Lady Jane Grey is one of tragedy, cruelty, and danger. A young girl growing up during Tudor England, her life is far from being easy. Often called the  "the Tudor Pawn", Jane is forced to do things her whole life. But there is one thing that no one could ever force her to do - deny her faith in Christ. 

 This is not fiction. This is all facts. This all really happened. It's just history.

  And yet it was one of the most interesting and exciting books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down. This book is amazing.








  I hope all of you are having a lovely summer!

10 comments:

  1. I've read Princess Academy & Ella Enchanted, and loved them both. You should try River Secrets, Forest Born, and Enna Burning as a follow-on from Princess Academy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! Thank you for the reviews! I see on your shelf you have read "The Chosen Daughter Series," which are some of my favorite books, especially Dr. Oma.

    The Princess Academy is such a delightful book! You should definitely acquire a copy of Shannon Hale's other book "The Goose Girl" which is one of my all time favorite books. :)

    Blessings,
    Grace
    P.S. If you are a big fan of historical fiction, I would recommend "The Apothecary's Daughter" by Julie Klassen. :) You can also check out some of my other historical fiction books here: http://www.shelfari.com/grace-the-lavender-girl
    P.S.S. As you can see I love to ramble about books!:) Oh, and I apologize for this long comment. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace: That's awesome that you like that series too! So far I've only read "Wings like a dove" so I'm looking forward to reading the others.

    And I really want to read "The Goose Girl", too. I've been looking for it everywhere! :)

    No need to apologize...I love long comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's funny, I just watched a movie about Jane Grey:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OooOooh! Books!
    You have some lovely ones.

    Of the specific books you summarized, I've never read any of them exactly, but I do love Wendy Lawton's books. And WWII is one of my favorite time periods, so why haven't I read "Shadow of His Hand"?? I don't know.

    I recognize some others from your 'traveling library'. If you have time to tell me, have you read "The Book Thief"? It's one I've heard about, but different people I know have different opinions. I didn't know if I should read it sometime?

    Blessings,
    ~ Tarissa
    { In the Bookcase }

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the movie of Ella Enchanted. Now me being a avid bookreader, I'm so glad I saw this post. I love book review posts! :)

    Tarissa - my older brother read "The Book Thief". He says it's nicely written and really interesting. :)

    ~Leanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved princess academy. you should definitly read her other books: the goose girl, forest born, enna burning, river secrets. they are SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips!!! I've never read any of those books but I love to read so i'll have to check them out. Have you ever read any Janette Oke books? she's a good author.


    M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so reading these books! Thank you!

    Some books I like are the wolves of willoughby chase books by Joan Aiken, and the Life as we knew it series. The second one I liked the most.

    Hey, just wondering, let me know if this is way to personal, but what exact religion are you? I'm Catholic! :D

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!
    I came across your blog by Hannah Grace's blog :)
    And as I'm looking around I've found more and more things that intrigue me! First of all, I can't believe you are blessed to live in Ireland. That's like a major dream of mine :D
    Also, these books all look pretty good - I've actually read a couple of them, including Princess Academy which I absolutely adored, and read over again a couple times :)
    Your blog is quite lovely, I must say, I and I don't think I am done 'exploring' it quite yet :)
    Have a beautiful, God-filled day!
    Raechel

    ReplyDelete