Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Places Books Have Made Me Really Want to Visit



 The Broke and the Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday is always so much fun. This week is "Top Ten Places Books Have Made Me Want To Visit" (quite a mouthful).

 Some of these places I may be able to visit someday. Some of them I will never be able to visit outside of a book...because they aren't real. #bookwormstruggle

 

1. Prince Edward Island

I think that anyone who has read L. M. Montgomery's books would say the same. The way she describes this island is heartbreakingly lovely.
Take me there, please.

2. Iceland
I wanted to go to Iceland long before I read Journey to the Centre of the Earth, but the book definitely intensified longing. It sounds like the most beautiful place in the world.


3. Narnia
 If I could choose any fictional place to visit, I'd pick Narnia in a heartbeat.


4. The Moors of Northern England
Thanks to The Secret Garden and also Jane Eyre, I'm dying to explore the moors. Preferably on horseback.


5. The Shire
The Shire. Hobbiton. Land of the Hobbits. Let's go.


6. Bayern & Kildenree 
 Bayern and Kildenree - two places in Shannon Hale's Books of Bayern. Practically the perfect fairytale lands.


7. New York City
 Percy Jackson is certainly not the only reason I want to visit NYC, but now thanks to this series going to the Empire State Building and asking about the 600th floor is on my bucket list...

8. Venice 
It's impossible to read The Thief Lord and not end up wanting to visit Venice. Especially at night. With a gang of thieves.


9. Northern Wales
 Not my favorite series, but this particular book about killed me with the descriptions of the gorgeous Welsh countryside. It sounds so mysterious and magical and adventure-y.


10. New Beijing

Androids and spaceships and Prince Kai, oh my. Despite the scary aspect (THE PLAGUE), I'd love to visit New Beijing.


(Note: I, of course, took none of those gorgeous pics)

So, what places would be on your list?

love,
Hannah

22 comments:

  1. Love your list! As a Welshie I can honestly say that Wales is beautiful especially North Wales. It is so rugged, with huge mountains and windy roads and the sky is huge up there. Of course I am a little biased! Hobbiton is my number one stop seeing as you can actually visit there; how amazing! Narnia also made my list - such a magical world.

    New follower :)
    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    MY TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Becca! That's so awesome that you live in Wales. And oh yeah, you're right, you *can* visit the Shire! I didn't even think of that. Except no Hobbits :(

      Delete
  2. We have a lot of similar places. I almost put New Beijing on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I just checked out your list - love it!

      Delete
  3. I saw the title and went: "NARNIA!!!!" :p but I'd also love to see PEI. I'm decently close (a day's drive i think??) but ive never been....hmmm this needs to be fixed...

    Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhh yes you need to go there, take lots of pics, and then make 100 blog posts about it. Also, please take me with you :(
      Thanks Olivia!

      Delete
  4. I think that the moors of northern England, Wales, Prince Edward Island, and Venice would be the places on your list that also would be on mine, the reasons being: I read James Herriot's animal stories series and they described the moors as a very beautiful place, I also read The Secret Garden. I would want to go to Wales because I read several of our outdated National Geographics about Wales and it just seemed like such a beautiful place. I would want to go to Prince Edward Island because my grandmother went there last year, and described it as a very beautiful place. I would want to go to Venice to visit the Exchange Student we had who was from there. It also seems like such a beautiful place. I know that you did not ask for all those explanations, but I thought you might like them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Very cool. I hope you get to go to those places someday. Thank you so much for commenting, Clara!

      Delete
  5. Great list! My list would include England in general (because of Jane Austen and tons of other books), Narnia, the Shire, and the Moors. And I'd also love to go to Iceland, but because of the film The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (I haven't read any books set in Iceland). Plus I'd add Hogwarts and France (I've read several memoirs set in France that I've really enjoyed, particularly Julia Child's My Life in France). And after I hopefully read the Anne series this fall, I'll probably have to add Prince Edward Island to my list, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome choices! I really need to watch Walter Mitty. And I can't wait to hear what you think of the Anne series!

      Delete
  6. You've read The Dark Is Rising too?! YAY! I have literally never heard anyone ever mention it. I don't mention it because I didn't like it...lol, but I loved the movie way too much. *quiets weird Dark is Rising movie obsession*
    I want to go to NYC too. I think I would probably have a panic attack and die in all the crowds...buuuut. It's like the source of so many books and alien attacks and Avengers rescues! I need in on that.
    And Europe. Just, anywhere in Europe basically. I need to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high-fives*. Overall the series was a bit weird, but I really did like the first one and The Grey King. Oh, I haven't seen the movie...maybe I'll have!
      Yeeeesssss New York is where all the Marvel action happens.

      Delete
  7. YES to Prince Edward Island (Anne of Green Gables fan forever!) and Narnia (Loooove!), oh and Venice (The Thief Lord is such a great book!). This is an awesome post, Hannah! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i literally just finished re-reading anne of green gables an hour ago. one of my all-time favourite books!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the best? I'm dying to re-read it myself again.

      Delete
  9. I love all of your creative answers! Wales looks gorgeous! *adds an yet another destination to places-to-see-before-I-die list* Omg! Yes, Bayern and Kildenree would be amazing!
    I have yet to read The Thief Lord and Cinder, but I'm pretty sure they're on my tbr list on goodreads. (-: What was your opinion on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Cinder and The Thief Lord are great books. I'm more of a fan of Cinder, though - the Lunar Chronicles is one of my favorite series. Thanks for commenting, girl!

      Delete
  10. Loved this post! I'd love to go to the Wood between the Worlds so I could visit as many worlds as I wanted:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, yes to Bayern! I love those books. The places in Dr. Seuss's books would be pretty cool to visit (Oh, the Places You'll Go esp.) And I'd love to go to Camp Halfblood and hang out with Percy Jackson and Annabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in a Dr. Seuss book would be SO cool. And Camp Halfblood would be epic.

      Delete