Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Maze Runner // Book & Film


If you ain't scared, you ain't human. 


 As of last week, I am a Maze Runner fangirl. (Do we have a name? Are we Maze Runners? Gladers? See, I don't even know the fandom name. That's how much of a newbie greenie I am.)

 Let's talk about it.

The Book

 “Just follow me and run like your life depends on it. Because it does.”

 I was pretty sure the book was going to be great, but I wasn't prepared for just how great it turned out to be. It blew me away. Why?

- The plot was kind of brilliant.
Who doesn't want to read a book about a bunch of teenagers stuck inside a giant maze? Crazy people, that's who. It's a genius idea, and the author used this genius idea to it's full potential. Props to you, Mr. Dashner.

- I never wanted to put it down.
I felt actual frustration at not being able to read the words fast enough. "Hurry up, eyeballs, I need to know what happens!" I like when books do that. It doesn't happen a lot. It was like reading The Hunger Games for the first time.

- I want to hug the characters.
Every one of them. Except the bad ones. I want to punch those ones. But for real - I think it was the characters that truly made this book for me. They were realistic and relatable, and extremely fun to read about.

- I laughed, I cried, I hid under my covers.
This book was just insane okay? 

If you haven't already, I definitely recommend you give this book a try!




The Movie

So, it ended up that I finished the book a few hours before we went and saw the movie. Not how I usually like to do things, but ya know. At least I read it first. Here are my thoughts on it:

- I really, really liked it.
When the movie started I felt like jumping up and down in my cinema chair.  It's always an amazing experience to see a book you love brought to life on the big screen. Especially if it's done right. 

- It's a well-made movie all-around.
Even if I hadn't read the book, I would have loved this movie. The directing, writing, cinematography, special effects, soundtrack - yep, yep, yep. Well done, people.

- The Cast was practically perf.
I mean, look at them.

Awww. But on second thought, that's a bit outdated...here's a better one.


Awww. I approve of all casting choices.

- It's true to the book.
It's not a very long movie, so they did have to cut out a lot. But they didn't drastically change any plot points, get rid of any major characters, or add anything unnecessary. In other words, it was not another Percy Jackson.
There were some tiny changes, however, that I felt were a bit unnecessary. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed those things if I hadn't read the book immediately before seeing the movie, but there were a couple details that I was just like, "WHAA? NO, THAT'S FALSE INFORMATION. Y U CHANGE THAT?"
But for the most part, it's a faithful adaptation.



My overall thoughts on The Maze Runner book and film:



So guys, have you read The Maze Runner and/or seen the movie? If so, what did you think of it?
Also: what are you currently obsessing over?

love,
Hannah

30 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book or seen the film, I am really intrigued by it though. Really want to read the book.

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! If you read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

      Delete
  2. This book really intrigued me, but as I tried reading The Hunger Games and couldn't stomach it, I kinda guessed this wouldn't be the best idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, dystopians certainly
      are tought books. This one is a bit violent at times, but I'd say it isn't as disturbing as THG. Thanks for commenting, Emily!!

      Delete
    2. I may need to try reading this, then... ^.^

      Delete
  3. I AM SO SO GLAD YOU LIKE IT. I'm literally screaming out of my eyeballs with feelings for this series. I haven't seen the movie yet, which makes me sob (I NEED IT) but I loooove the book so so badly. And I'm really tired of everyone hating on the book. Why don't people like it?!! GAH! It's brilliant. I completely agree with you though. My eyeballs couldn't eat it fast enough. :) And the movie casting? The movie casting is so awesome and I haven't even Seen it yet. AFJDAKSL THE MAZE RUNNER.

    Okay, I'm calming down, caaaalming down. Thomas though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO GLAD *YOU* LIKE IT! :) Yeah seriously, what's up with the haters? Oh oh I hope you love the movie!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW, GIRL.

      Delete
  4. girl okay. I am ready to tackle this book. like tonight. *runs to the library website*

    ReplyDelete
  5. WELCOME TO THE FANDOM! :D I haven't seen the movie yet but I really want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a huge fan of dystopian novels, but I've heard so many good things that I think I'll have to try this one. Great review by the way; I loved how you formatted everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to see the movie now! The book was very exciting, though I have to say, all the deaths were difficult. )-: I bet the film is amazing! And is that Eustace Scrubb, ahem, I mean Will Poulter as Galley?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the movie! But I agree...*slight spoiler alert* the death towards the end of the book made me really sad.
      And YES, indeed that is our dear Scrubb himself!

      Delete
  8. "Hurry up, eyeballs, I need to know what happens!" hahaha I know the feeling! =) I've never read this book or seen the movie but it looks interesting! I'll have to check it out...and oh man, I'm kinda really excited that Eustace is in it!! I'm currently obsessing over Newsies. I want everyone in the world to see the movie and sing all the songs. haha =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I'm a fansie too! :) "AND THE WORLD WILL KNOW!"

      Delete
  9. Aw, that first picture of the cast is adorable. :)

    Okay, so you said to ask if I had more questions about cameras so I'm asking (tell me to go away and be quiet if you want - I don't mind, I tend to ask a lot of questions and you wouldn't be the first to get tired of 'em ;)). So I want to use the camera I get for video and photography and I'm wondering about image stabilization, especially for video. It seems that for the most part Canon (and Nikon) cameras don't have IS in the body of the camera so if you want it you have to get a lens with it. I think I would mainly use the stabilization for video: do you have any advice about whether to just find a camera with stabilization or if it would be fine to just get a lens with it to use when I take videos? I don't know if you use IS much but any advice you have would be great. :) Thanks, Hannah. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey!! I'm *always* happy to answer questions!
    About this particular question: I'm super sorry, but I actually don't know very much about that. I love photography, but I'm still trying to learn all that technical stuff! I wish I could help :( however, I do think I know a few websites and blogs that you might find helpful. I'll get back to you with some links very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally understand. :) Aw, thanks, Hannah. If you do get a chance sometime those links would be cool. :)

      xx

      Delete
    2. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you! Here are two photography websites. I'm not sure if you'll find any answers on them to your particular question, but you might like the sites anyway :)

      http://www.iheartfaces.com/ - a really fun website to look through! I used to obsessed with this.

      http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/ - lots of tips!

      Hope you find those useful/fun! :)

      Delete
    3. This is a very late response but thank you for the links! I'll have fun exploring them. :)

      xx

      Delete
  11. This book is on my To Read list. *points to pictures* And it's Eustace! Well, I don't know his real actor name but one of those boys plays Eustace in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love it! And yeah, his name is Will Poulter! I think he's a great actor.

      Delete
  12. THE DEATH CURE THOUGH LIKE I THINK I LEFT MY SANITY IN CHAPTER 55

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, so my sister is a total fangirl of this series/movies/anything Dylan O'Brien. So I saw the movie with her and really liked it. I decided, after months and months of her begging me, to read the book.

    And I just could not get into it.

    I read about 40 pages and then I decided to stop because I was just not enjoying myself. I'm not sure what it was, because I've only ever heard people praising it. Maybe it's because I had recently seen the movie and all the suspense was gone. After your review, I'm considering giving it another try, now that it's been awhile since I've seen the movie. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks so much for commenting! I'm glad you liked the movie. Sorry you weren't enjoying the book! Bummer. I have heard a lot of mixed feelings about this series - you sort of either love it or hate it. But maybe you're right, it might be better now since the movie isn't as fresh in your mind!

      Delete