Thursday, November 6, 2014

Yesterday's Colors



“People observe the colours of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it's quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations, with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colours. Waxy yellows, cloud-spat blues. Murky darknesses. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them.” 
- Markus Zusak, from The Book Thief

 Yesterday, I took photos all throughout the day. The plan was that I would end up capturing a gorgeous sunset. But, uh, nope. The mean old clouds decided to keep the sunset all to themselves.

(Sorry, clouds, you're not really mean. Just...temperamental?)

 But you know, it's more accurate this way. Most days here in Ireland look just like the one I ended up capturing. It starts off all nice and blue and sunny, and then suddenly there's a big gloomy mass of gray clouds. There's usually some rain, too. And then it suddenly gets really dark, as if someone turned a light switch off.  

(The last photo is kind of an exaggeration, though. My night photography just needs some improvement, because it wasn't that dark. Gosh, that would be super scary.)

I'm not complaining, though. Frosty mornings, gloomy clouds, and pitch darkness is what winter is all about.


What does the sky look like right now where you are?


love,
Hannah

15 comments:

  1. This is so neat, Hannah!! I love it!! I've been wanting to take one picture of the mountains near where I live everyday for a whole year, then put it together like a video and see the seasons change. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that would be incredibly cool. I vote do it! :)
      Thanks for commenting, Emily!

      Delete
  2. wowwwwwwwww. girl. I started scanning these pictures, and then I was like, wait. I have seen that tree before.

    And then I had to start over and now I'm in awe because that is a brilliant idea. :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! That's really funny! "Wait, doesn't she have more things to take a picture of than the same tree?"
      Hehe, thanks girl!

      Delete
  3. Cool idea, Hannah. That was interesting to see how many different colors the sky could turn in one day. The sky over me right now is gray-black and full of rain. And kind of dark blue if I strain to see it.

    @ Olivia: Yep, I had the same moment. I was like, "Wait, three pictures of the same thing? Okay. Next one. Wait, another one?" :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle. I thought so, too. And I love that both you and Olivia had a "WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GIRL?" moment. :D

      Delete
  4. That's really awesome though! And kind of reminds me of my place this time of year... We're in storm season and close to wet season so it's all sunny in the morning and then we get storms a 3pm (almost on the dot) ALL the time. I prefer winter's really blue shiny skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cait! Woah, storms are scary. But that's really interesting how there's so many of them! Ireland's weather is so...safe. Hehe.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing! Here is Oklahoma, we don't really get good sunsets this time of year. It's dark out at 5:30pm. Can't go out for late-evening strolls at dusk anymore. :( I prefer the sunsets in spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, it's starting to get dark so early here, too. Thanks for commenting, Tarissa!

      Delete
  6. What an awesome concept! Also, that quote from the book thief -- too good. Great post, friend.

    blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That quote is one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  7. I deleted my last comment because I accidentally left out a few words, so it did not make much sense.
    So here it is with the words in it: The weather here in Missouri has been sunny lately-at least today was- but there also have been quite a few cloudy days. It might even snow soon! There have been quite a few gorgeous sunsets here, the clouds seem to clear up as soon as there is a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I loved hearing about the weather where you are.

      Delete
  8. Gosh this was amazing. Stunning shots, girl.

    ReplyDelete