Friday, March 25, 2011

soda bread

  Soda bread is one of my favorite things. It's one of the simplest things to make, but it's so, so, so delicious. Especially right out of the oven. Covered in butter and strawberry jam. Yes.


irish soda bread

1 lb flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (also called bread soda)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
15 fl.oz buttermilk

   Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F). Sieve dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. Make a well in the center and pour in buttermilk. Gently stir together with a wooden spoon, just until it comes together (the trick is not to stir it too much.)

  Place dough on floured surface and pat gently to make a flat round about 2 inches high. With a sharp knife cut a deep cross into it.

  Place on a tray and bake for 30-35 minutes. (tip: if you knock on the the bottom of it and it sounds hollow, it's done.)

  Immediately wrap in clean dish towel. (This keeps the crust from getting too hard.)


  After it has cooled a while cut yourself a slice. Then smother with butter and jam. Then take a picture of it. And then eat it. Oh my.

 

 I sincerely hope you are having a splendid day. (if you aren't, go listen to some Owl City. It'll make your day splendider. Is that a word?)
 

8 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I've made soda bread once before and it made such a small amount--it tasted so good, and we wanted more!
    I love the one we get sometimes with raisins in. Not so orthodox, but still yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, that looks so good! I'm gonna have to make it sometime...

    By the way, I love Owl City. If splendider isn't a word, it should be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delightful! Thanks for the recipe! Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about you send me some? It looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! My mom made soda bread for St. Patrick's day...it was delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh! nom nom nom... that looks so good. I'm a bit jelly fan. My great grandma and aunt live in Alaska, and they send me all of this homeade Jelly... rose petal, fireweed, salmon berry... they sound weird but I've seriously never had anything so good! :DD

    I'll have to try and make some of that bread. :) Thanks for sharing!

    xx,
    Bleah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! I'm going to try the recipe soon - thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete